Ecological or green dentistry is the provision of dental care and dental treatment using technologies, procedures, and materials that benefit the health of the environment and the planet. “Environmental Dentistry” is a term officially registered by the Association for Ecological Dentistry. It involves the use of high-tech innovations that increase the efficiency and effectiveness of work, as well as reduce the amount of waste and environmental pollution.
Read also: Ecology – Benefit of Hospital Patients and Nature
Benefits of Green Dentistry
Known as “green”, the practice of dentistry combines technologies that improve treatment methods and procedures, as well as making them more environmentally friendly. The benefits of green dentistry are as follows:
- Less radiation. More advanced diagnostic system. For example, one of the most significant innovations in green dental practice is digital x-ray, which eliminates the need for traditional film x-rays. Through the use of digital x-rays in the treatment process, the number of harmful chemicals released into the environment, such as lead and silver, is dramatically reduced. In addition, the radiation to which patients are exposed is approximately 90% weaker when using a digital x-ray, as opposed to a traditional one. In addition, the dentist receives the images immediately, and they are of better quality than usual. Plus, for a more detailed and accurate diagnosis, they can be increased.
- Less chemical pollution and minimal disposables. Green dentistry also uses high-quality, environment-friendly disinfectants as well as steam sterilization means that does not require a special ventilation system for chemical fumes or a permit to discharge hazardous waste into the water supply. Green dentists are also using energy-efficient washing machines and dryers to facilitate the use of cloth bibs, gowns, headrest wipes, and other washable and reusable products. This eliminates the use of disposable paper products.
- Restorations that have a more natural appearance. Less heavy metal waste. While you and others may be interested in more natural-looking restorations, today, environmental dentistry performs adhesive, metal-free restorations using direct composite bonding or porcelain veneers (including Lumineers and other veneers requiring little or no tooth preparation), as well as crowns. These options serve two purposes:
- Firstly, they provide an aesthetic restoration of a smile without the use of metals. Second, they help avoid heavy metal waste from amalgam fillings that can enter the main water supply.
- Because patients often opt for adhesive dentistry, tooth discoloration benefits both patient health and the environment by keeping heavy metal waste from entering the main drain.
Choosing a “green” dentist
Any dentist, including Alta Sky Dental, can be green. Green dentists, as well as members of the Association for Environmental Dentistry, are rethinking the equipment, products, and materials they use in their offices and opting for sustainable options. They also aim to reduce the environmental impact of their work by using energy-efficient fluorescent lights, taps, and low-flow toilets.
Dentists who achieve the highest standards in green dentistry can earn GreenDOC certification from the Association for Environmental Dentistry. Certified by the Association for Environmental Dentistry at the Bronze, Silver, or Gold levels, practices that use clean, green dentistry products, equipment, and practices are documented. These may include moving away from traditional x-rays to digital ones, using non-toxic floor polish, moving to electronic patient communications and marketing programs, and using washable fabrics whenever possible.